Wednesday, February 6, 2013

100 Cal banana bread/ Blueberry Orange bread

So I mentioned this "100 calorie banana bread" last blog.   Basically what happened was I made it last night and was going to take a picture of it today/post the recipe, however theres none left to take a picture of!  Yes, it actually turned out! As my boyfriend stated "This is the first banana bread you made thats actually good!"  well smartass it was only the 2nd time I made banana bread.   Ohhhhhhhh well, I still love him :)  Speaking of which, Valentines Day is coming up, I have nooo idea what to get my boyfriend.  I mean I already got him the watch he's been madly in love with for a while,  I also got him Burberry cologne, I have no idea what else there is to get him.  I need some help here! It'd be greatly appreciated.  Even better, guys, what would you like to recieve this year?  I'll let you guys in on a not so big secret of what I would love to recieve...  ready?

A hot pink kitchenaid mixer, which i spotted at Target for $300.  And ready....???  A new oven, so I can quit "baking" on broil.  It's tricky but I'm finally getting it down, it's just I can't come up with the right amount of baking time for things without them burning or not being done.  It really is a pain.  Plus we finally broke down and bought a new washer, FINALLY!! :)  I explained to my boyfriend how I would not AT ALL, WHATSOEVER, be disappointed if I recieved either or both of these as a Valentines day, anniversary, etc. gift.  I even asked for them for Christmas.  I don't know how much more upfront I can be about it!!! I'm sure it's less expensive and more productive to purchase either of these things than it is for sparkly pretty jewlery (that I wear only because I don't have a kitchenaid mixer or new oven to preoccupy me).  Just saying.
 

100 Calorie Banana Bread (Adapted from About.com)
10 servings, 100 calories each.


1/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. butter/margarine, softened
1 large egg
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 c. ripe bananas (I used 2 medium)
3/4 c. AP flour
1/2 c. Whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl combine butter and sugar, beat for about 2 minutes.  Add egg and applesauce, beat for another 2 minutes. 
Fold in bananas.
In a seperate large bowl whisk together flours, baking soda and salt.
Add flour mixture to banana mixture 1/2 c. at a time, mixing after each addition until moist.
Coat loaf pan (sides and bottom) with cooking spray and add batter.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Mine only took 40 minutes.)
Allow bread to cool in loaf pan for 5 minutes.  Then remove bread from pan and place on cooling rack to allow to cool rest of the way.





I am currently waiting on this awesome Blueberry Orange bread.  It's definately filling the house with the most amazing smell from the orange in it!

 
Blueberry Orange Bread (Adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny!)
10 servings, 168.9 calories each.


3/4 c. AP flour
3/4 c. Whole Wheat flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
6 tbsp. butter/margarine, room temp.
3/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. orange zest
1 1/2 c. blueberries
1 6 oz. container organic blueberry (or plain) yogurt

 
Preheat oven to 350 F. 
Spray loaf pan (sides and bottom).
Whisk together flours, baking powder and salt.
With electric mixer beat together butter and sugar. 
Add eggs 1 at a time.
Add vanilla and zest.
Add flour 1/3 of flour mixture, blend well.  Add 1/2 yogurt, blend well.  Alternate starting and ending with flour.
Fold in blueberries, carefully!
Bake 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool in pan about 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to complete cooling.
 
 
***You can substitute AP flour for WW or whichever, just so theres 1 1/2 c. of flour.
***You can substitute sugar for 6 tbsp. Splenda.
***You can susbstitute yogurt for 1/2 c. low fat milk.
 
 
 
Ladies and Gents...We have a finished product!!!
 
I'm going to have to give myself a pat on the back for this one :)
I'm a tad bit disappointed that its 170 cals a slice but, I suppose thats more encouragement to work out so I can eat more!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment