Monday, October 22, 2012

Sweet Rice

It's Monday!!!! That means it's wing night for us, unfortunately we can't go for them until after 9 o'clock tonight, rather than our normal early bird 5 o'clock.  Work....always interfering with life.  Oh well.


Alright, so I've been working like a maniac.  I usually only work 3 12 hour days, Friday-Sunday, it's pretty awesome having off 4 days a week, every week.   However, our first house payment is coming up :(, I think this is my least favorite part. Long story short, I was on my way home from work and hungry for sweet rice, not to mention I've been bragging about this sweet rice to my boyfriend for like...a long time.  And it just makes the house smell splendid :)

The one thing I love most when coming home is seeing these sweet faces:
this means they missed me...

and these...

mean they did something bad...like knock the trash can over.
I don't think I'll ever understand why dogs are so obsessed with knocking trash cans over.  Gotta love them either way <3



Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan.

Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally.



Once it starts to thicken up, reduce to low heat, stir frequently, until there is no excess moisture and rice is soft.

Serve warm or cold, with cinnamon on top. Enjoy! 

(I am completely unaware of what "1 serving" of sweet rice looks like...it's usually at least 2 servings in my bowl)



Grandmas Sweet Rice

4 C. milk
11/2 C. Rice
1/4 C. Granulated Sugar
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 C. raisins (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon

Grab a medium saucepan and add all ingredients.  Stir together.  Boil on medium heat, occasionally stirring.  Once this starts to thicken up reduce to low heat and stir frequently for 15-20 minutes, until there is no excess moisture and rice is soft.  Serve warm or cold, with cinnamon on top.  Store in fridge.

***Let it cool down to room temperature before putting in the fridge.









No comments:

Post a Comment