Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mod Podge!

Alright, here's the deal... My boyfriend and I just recently bought a house.  Sounds nice, but it's not, I absolutely hate moving stuff, hate it.  However, I sure don't mind making things to decorate the house.  So I decided to spruce up the toilet brush holder I bought today.  Just a plain white one from dollar tree, oh how I love that store!! It's actually quite simple, almost fool proof!

Grab your supplies:
toilet brush holder
Mod Podge (any finish, I used gloss)
Sponge brush (to brush on mod podge)
Scissors
Clear spray paint (finishing coat)
Acrylic paint if needed/wanted
and last but not least, and probably the hardest part....
a pattern you want to put on your toilet brush holder, I used this pattern.

or you can just as well Google a pattern or print.

First, print your pattern, I printed out four 3.5"x5's of my pattern ( I only ended up using 3 of them). Just use plain ol' printer paper, no need for anything fancy.

Next, apply a generous amount (not slopping wet, but enough to hold your paper in place) of Mod Podge to the toilet brush holder.

Cut out your pattern, I found it was easier to cut it into different pieces rather than just put the whole 3.5"x5 piece of paper on there, things slide and don't agree with me, ever.  Anyways whatever you decide to do with your paper that has your pattern printed on, mod podge that back of that (the plain white side).  Apply to the toilet brush holder, smooth out wrinkles, I had a bunch but you really can't tell. 
After your toilet brush holder is covered in the pattern put another coat of mod podge on top of that, all over.  DO NOT FREAK OUT, the mod podge will dry clear!!!

After the mod podge is dry (I used my hair dryer since I'm impatient), apply acrylic paint to any white areas, I had a white area around the top of my holder.  After the paint is dry apply a clear finishing coat.

V'oila! fancy toilet brush holder, enjoy!



The great thing about this project is that it's super inexpensive.
Mod Podge- already had (runs about $5 for a 5 oz. bottle)
Toilet Brush holder- $1 (dollar tree)
Acrylic Paint- already had (usually runs about $1 and some change for a 2 oz. bottle)
Clear finishing paint- already had (costs about $2 at Wal Mart)

Total Project Cost- $1.06 (stupid taxes)





No comments:

Post a Comment